Using the LifePlus! Index
Making active lifestyle choices will have a positive impact on your physical, social and mental well-being.
These questions will help you assess your current situation.
Research shows that health can be improved and the risk of falling reduced by doing moderate physical activity for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week, and by incorporating balance and leg strength exercises into the daily routine.
- Keep active in as many ways as you can? e.g. walk or cycle instead of driving, choose the stairs instead of using a lift
- Participate in at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity on most, preferably all days? e.g. brisk walking, dig in the garden, mow the lawn
- Include a wide variety of nutritious foods in your diet? e.g. 2 fruit and 5 veg daily
- Make healthy eating choices? e.g. a diet low in saturated fats, salt and sugar, adequate amounts of water and/or other fluid, limited alcohol intake
- Have an annual medical check up with your doctor?
- Successfully managing a known chronic health condition? e.g. diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis
- Involved in lifelong learning? e.g. new skill development, new language, crosswords, puzzles
- Regularly engaged in a social network of friends, family and community? e.g. service clubs, interest groups, hobbies
- Maintaining an interest and pleasure in most of your usual activities?
- Maintaining a positive attitude to getting older?
If you answered ‘no’ to any of these questions, or would just like some more information about making positive LifePlus! Choices, visit the ‘Healthy Living’ page on SA Health’s website for some great ideas and resources.